Monday, September 2, 2013

Episode 05 - The Ride Home - 9-2-2013

So, the next day after the night of awesome that was my drunken tourism time, we did some stuff, and then we left so we could get back early enough for the wifey to make it to work.  There was some drama or whatever, but I have bad hearing, so most of what is said by people never gets the chance to bug me.


Anyways, the ride home from Gatlinburg to Chicago (where I would catch the train to go home to DeKalb) was scheduled to take about 10 hours, if I remember correctly.  Eddie was a professional driver, and I am a professional insomniac, so we made the trip go pretty fast.  Much like with my wife, I usually just let Eddie drive me around, because they both drive me nuts from the passenger seat.  D-Bags!

This long car ride was very important, because although we had briefly discussed the possibility of opening a store in Chicago before I came to Tennessee, this was the first time we REALLY talked shop. 

Actually, let’s loop around the beginning of this whole mess, and why on Earth we were opening a store at all.  Eddie had come into some money, and decided to open the store down in Tennessee to help his kin.  Eddie and I were somewhere between gaming / drinking buddies and kindred souls at the time, so he was telling me about said gaming store way back in November of 2012, or so.  I was pretty jealous, because I always wanted to work in a game store (who doesn’t?), and I straight up told him I was green with envy.  To the point of uncontrollable rage, even.  Okay, not that bad, but still.  D-Bag.

Long story short: the store gets opened up down there (duh), and is doing pretty good for itself.  We didn’t really talk much for a while, mainly because we were both busy doing our own things.  That’s the way things go.  Also, I lost his number, so I pretty much lost contact with him, though I did have his email address, now that I think about it.

Anyways, I hear from him and do the usual, “Who dis?” thing (though Swype is making it much harder to be lazy in a text), and then I ask him about the store.  He was happy to talk about it, and told me that it was doing well.  I think I asked him about it a few more times, and eventually he was just filling me in when something cool happens (which is pretty much how we operate now), and eventually he said something like, “I know a dude who wants to open a game store.  I want you to manage it.  Something something,” I don’t know, I was pretty much stuck on the thing about the managing thing. 

I told him that I would love the job, and would make it work in anyway possible.  The talk was not terribly serious as in the feasibility, or it actually happening anytime soon, but the idea was planted.

SO!

Fast forwarding back to the drive home from Tennessee… this is when the talk of stores went from a “that would be cool” sort of thing, to a “let’s do this!” sort of thing.  We talked business details for a while, and of course told life stories.  Eddie tells some of the best stories ever, but unfortunately, out of respect for his privacy, I will not be able to tell them, (until he dies… hmm, that sounds awfully incriminating.)

By the end of the trip, which we drove straight for about 8 hours if I remember correctly, we were pretty sure that it was a go.  We were both of the opinion that we cannot possibly fail, which seems like a great business plan to me.  Lofty goals, but we are both guys who get stuff done, and we are going to be as positive as possible, even when we think we are totally screwed.  That will come up a lot, by the way.

I was going to keep the pending venture hush hush, just in case it never panned out, but of course Amy tells people, and they tell people, and suddenly people are talking to me.  About things, even!  Jeese Louise.

I began hoarding my cards, and of course, started looking for places to open said store.  I showed some stuff to Ed, he scoffed, showed me one he liked, and bam.  Store! 







No comments:

Post a Comment